Sunday, October 5, 2008

Ahh, it feels good to have a quiet moment to sit down and blog! Lilly is taking nap and Jaron and the kids are downstairs playing Wii between conference sessions. Jaron has had 3 days off in a row and it has been so fun having him around for a weekend for a change. We had some friends from our ward over on Friday night and we had an easy dinner and played games. Our kids ran around and had a great time. It is always such a wonderful blessing to find friends that you both (husband and wife) have a lot in common with, and an even bigger bonus when you have kids roughly the same age that get along well. I have loved this ward since we moved in, but I do miss having my closest friends nearby.

Friends have always been really important to me. I have a theory that this is because I don't have a sister and that every girl needs a really close girlfriend in whom they can confide, plot and plan, and share joys and dissapointments. I have been so lucky my whole life to have the best group of friends a girl could wish for, and I have been especially lucky to live next to at least one of them for the first 8 years of my marriage. This is the first time I haven't lived next to someone that I know I can call at ANY time of day and that they won't be bothered, and even if they are, they will forgive me for it. That being said, the sisters in my ward have been very warm and kind and even though I don't have a bosom buddy yet, I do feel comfortable and welcome here.

I really enjoyed President Monson's talk at the end of the Sunday morning session. I think we all need to remember to enjoy the moment and love the life we are living a little bit more. I know I certainly need to. A couple of years ago it was this same time of year when for a brief period of a few weeks, I honestly believed that I was dying from cancer, I didn't feel sick, but just knowing that my time was limited, and really BELIEVING that completely changed my perspective on life and what is important. Due to what I honestly believe was a miracle from God, I have my whole (hopefully long) life ahead of me and I think it would do me some good to remember those feelings that my time was short and how my priorities suddenly shifted.
Jaron and I both like to talk about what our hopes and dreams for the future are, knowing that most of them will never happen, but this was a good reminder to enjoy what we have now.

5 comments:

Ray and Donna Hamblin said...

Good to hear a little more about your life and what is going on. Who were the friends you had over? Anyone from the Ward?
See, I don't even know who your new friends are -- and they are my friends too. I'm glad you love our Ward, they are really WONDERFUL people.
Emmy was surprised that her piano teacher was some of our closest friends and FHE buddies.

Kristi said...

That's awesome that Jaron had the weekend off...He needs a little more down time! Glad you are making friends and feeling welcomed into the ward and neighborhood. I miss the kids, I guess I need to make another trip down there, and maybe this time I won't have to come home cause I'm sick... (or was I sick because of the curse of Mutton Hollow!!!???) Now I don't know if I will come, maybe I will get sick again! ha j/k

teresa said...

Amen to it all baby! Great blog!

Heather said...

We had Nicole and Kurt Williams over, they were here when you were, but they are relatively new as well.

Williams Ski Team said...

We had a blast at your home. The food was yummy. The kids had fun as well. We will definitely get together again! Thanks again Heather you are awesome!