Thursday, November 13, 2008

Random thoughts about racoon survival


It seems that modern day racoons are facing a conundrum when it comes to survival. These nocturnal bandits are known for eating our garbage and making lovely messes everywhere they go (they remind me of my kids). I am thinking that if our diets are causing coronary problems and heart disease in us, it must be affecting these creatures in the same way. Has anyone ever run blood tests and checked their blood pressure to see just how unhealthy they are because of their newly (as in the last hundred years or so) acquired diet?


It is not actually the diet that really concerns me, it is the obesity problem. I know, I know, racoons are SUPPOSED to get all fat and stuff to make it through the winter, but I have noticed on my paper route that the really fat ones waddle across the road at a much slower pace than their thinner counterparts. The ratio of fat dead racoons on the road vs. the skinny ones is skewed heavily toward the fat ones (and yes, I am taking into account bloating). It is ironic that the ones that manage to eat more garbage than the others would typically survive longer, but in our urbanized environment, they are dying earlier deaths and therefore maybe not passing on the superior genetic material that results in fat, happy racoons.


No, I don't have an answer to this problem for racoons, except to maybe use sidewalks and crosswalks vs. playing chicken with cars that are out at 3 in the morning delivering newspapers. Lucky for all the racoons that I have met, I have quick reflexes and manage to avoid sending them to an early grave. For all those to have been so unfortunate as to have lost the chicken war with the cars they were playing with, a moment of silence please.

5 comments:

teresa said...

It's blogs like this that remind me why I love you so much!

Wendi said...

lol - love your random thoughts. It almost sounds like you hit one.

Carli W. said...

I've been a little worried about these little guys too...especially after seeing a few off on the side of the freeway recently. I sympathize with your concerns. Maybe your home can become a "safe haven" for those chubby ones that might get themselves in trouble.

Ray and Donna Hamblin said...

I don't know carli w. -- but I don't vote with her -- because your home right now is MY home and I don't want racoons!!!! HA!
Sounds like you've had some encounters. Take Care!!

Hammy said...

On Heather's thoughts on the racoon problem of run over by cars. I say run over more of them because the furry little bastards keep eating all my dog food and it's getting expensive! And when I see a dead racoon on the side of the road, if it's not too damaged I stop and cut it's tail off! If damage is too extensive then I run over the furry little bastard again anyway.....
Just my thoughts have anice day..
Love Uncle Glenn

P.S.
Wish all I had to do all day was worry about furry little bastards getting hit by cars.